I will soon be posting the recipe for Morkuzhambu (Spiced yogurt gravy) , but today I picked to post just the spinach-potato recipe. I just love the dense and leafy texture of spinach combined with juicy and roasted texture of potatoes. Additionally the aroma of roasted sesame seeds brings out the unique flavor. This dish forms an excellent side dish for a mild gravy like Dal, Morkuzhambu etc.
Here is the recipe of Spinach-Potato Fry.
- Chopped Spinach - 2 cups
- Potatoes - 2 medium
- Sesame seeds - 2 tbsp
- Onion - 1 medium (chopped)
- Garlic - 1 clove (mashed)
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
- Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
- Corriander Powder - 2 tsp
- Dry roast (without oil) the sesame seeds and blend them to a powder. Set aside.
- Peel the skin & Cube the potatoes. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and season with Cumin seeds. When they begin to splutter, add onions and the mashed garlic and fry for a few mins.
- Then add the potatoes and turmeric and fry well for a few mins in medium heat.
- Add the chilli powder & corriander powder and salt.
- Mix well and cover in low heat for 5 - 6 mins..
- Remove the lid , add the chopped spinach and fry well.
- Cover for another 5 mins in low heat or until the potatoes are completely cooked.
- Turn on the heat to high and fry until the water is almost fully evaporated.
- Now add the sesame seeds powder and mix well. Cover for a couple of mins and remove from heat.
A tasty and nutritious side-dish is ready!