Saturday, June 28, 2008

Tomato Uthappam and another award...


Wow, I haven't posted anything for a week! Am I becoming lazy? I hope not... With weather being so good for the past few days, its becoming a habit for me to stay outside in the evenings for a prolonged time which makes me tired after dinner. Summer is for such a short time in my place and I want to exploit it as much as possible. I absolutely cook, but just no time to post them. I do have a lot of recipes to post and will surely catch up in the next few days..

After nursing my coffee for about 45 mins this morning, I thought of doing a simple express breakfast and then followed by an elaborated lunch! When we're not having friends over for lunch or dinner, my cooking turns out to be a relaxed one as I don't have to multi-task and rush in my cooking. Sometimes I think that the best way to relax in a weekend is to hook-up my I-pod and engross in the kitchen for a few hours! During those times I am in my own world enjoying both my favorites - Music and Cooking! In fact, I've had some of my best outcomes while cooking this way..

While pondering my refregirator today, I saw lots of tomatoes waiting for some attention.. I bought a bulk of them last week in farmer's market thinking of making some tomato thokku (pickle), but as usual kept postponing it.. So, before they get ruined I had to make something good with tomatoes... and I found this fabulous breakfast dish from my recipe book that mom had written for me 10 years ago. I had forgotten about this delight altogether, and after seeing it , I remembered how much I used to love it as a child and I realized that I had not eaten it for almost 8 years! This is an awesome dish that can be made instantly with simple ingredients. I hope you love it as much as I do. I am sending this to Raaga's WBB - Express Breakfasts Event .

Before I post the recipe, I want to thank my good friend Uma, who is been so nice in passing me the "Yummy Blog Award". Thanks Uma, for thinking about me and this means a lot to me!


"Yummy blog award is the award given to the blog with most yummy recipes/photos”


As a rule for the receiver of this award, I have to quote my favorite yummy-licious dessert(s) that I have ever prepared/eaten! So, here is my list :)

1. CoconutMilk Caramel Pudding - I tasted this in a potluck and I just loved it! I have no idea about the recipe, and still in the lookout for the recipe, So if someone is familiar about this dish, please do post the recipe :)
2. Paruppu Payasam (My all time favorite dessert)
I will soon pass this award to my dear fellow bloggers.. Stay tuned :)

Alright, here is the recipe for Tomato Uthappam:

Ingredients:
  • Tomato Juice - 1 cup (I make it fresh)
  • Gram Flour (Kadalai Mavu/Besan) - 1/2 cup
  • Rava - 1/2 cup
  • Chilli Powder - 1/2 tsp
  • G.Chillies - 2
  • Onions (Minced finely) - 1/4 cup
  • Corriander leaves (chopped finely) - a handful
Procedure:
  • Mix all of them fully until you reach a uthappam batter consistency. You can add water if required, but shouldn't be too watery.
  • Rub oil in a hot pan, pour 3 tbsp of batter and spread it gently to a small circle.
  • Add oil on top and around the uthappam. Let it cook fully on one side on medium heat (usually takes 3 - 4 mins).
  • Turn to the other side and cook for 2 more mins. Repeat with remaining batter.
Serve hot with Chutney.

29 comments:

ST said...

Tomato uthappam sounds delicious and yummy....Congrats on the award...

Chef Jeena said...

Sujatha, music and cooking is a great way to relax. :-D I love your tomato uthappam it looks lovely and delicious!

kamala said...

First time to ur blog Sujatha..Love ur dishes.Uthappam is inviting..I too from Madurai..Congrats on ur award

Dori said...

Congrat's on your award, and the breakfast looks too good!

Sujatha said...

Thanks Sireesha, Mees & Jeena!

Hi Kamala, welcome to my blog! Nice to know you are from Madurai too.. :) You have a lovely blog and super recipes!

vandana rajesh said...

Yummy uthappam...great breakfast idea.

Rachel said...

Love the colour

Sum Raj said...

hey nice idea of quick snack with tomatoes...its looks colourful and kids will surly luv 2 have with no doubt...great entry for the event..congrates on awards

Illatharasi said...

Its looking delicious... will try :)

Unknown said...

nice recipe..will try it sometime..

Ramya Bala said...

Sujatha,
First,Touchwood,u have such a wonderful blog with lovely pics...And thanks for dropping by,its so nice of u..will chk out ur posts hereafter...

Deepthi Shankar said...

Tomato uthappam looks yummy .. congrats on your awards

Usha said...

Hi Sujatha,This is my first visit to your blog,congrats on your award,your tomato uthappam looks delicious !!

Mansi said...

i love utthapam, but yours has a different kind of color and texture that I'm tempted to try!

Sailaja said...

Too good . I just love to eat uthappam any time of the day.

Congrats on the award

Andhra Flavors said...

Tomato uthappam sounds yummy. Congrats on the award...

Sujatha said...

Thanks Vandana and Rachel!

Suma, You are right! My daughter loves it too..

Thanks Vani & Sowmya! Please do try and let me know how it came out.. :)

Sujatha said...

Welcome to my Blog, Ramya & Usha! And thanks for your great Comments.. Please do check out regularly.. :)

Hi Mansi, Yes this is a different kind of Uthappam.. One of the key ingredients is tomato.. So, you get that nice color.. Hope you like it!

Thanks Vegetable Platter, Sailaja and Andhra Flavors for your nice words..

TBC said...

The uthapam has a very pretty red color which I'm sure is due to your addition of the tomato juice.
What a nice idea!

Uma said...

yummy uthapam sujatha! looks so colorful. congrats on the award, you truly deserve it dear!

Vidhya said...

Hi sujatha, first time to your blog. Tomato uthappam looks yummy. Added u in my blogroll.

Beyond Curries said...

I'm always in the look out for new tiffin items Sujatha. This, I have to try definitely. Thank you for this express recipe.

Mrs.Kannan said...

Hi Sujata,
I tried your tomato uthappam,day before yesterday,i do have a doubt,actually i had some leftover MTR ravadosa mix,it contains nothing but rava and zeera,so i thought i'll mix Gram flour in that,so i added everything u said,i fried onion and seasoned the batter,it tastes divine,but it doesn't look like the one that you made.The mistake i did is i showed it to my hubby before making it,he said tasty,still he wants just the way you did,can it be the gram flour(i am not sure i put equal amount of gram and rava together???)i want to make it again...

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

I had your tomato oothapam for breakfast today.. it was sooo yummyyy Sujatha :) too good.. came out very soft and tasty. thx for the wonderful recipe..

vidhas said...

My husband loves tomato uthappam , this recipe is new to me , i make the usual opnes. First time to your blog, very nice recipes and beautiful photpgraphs, Great job Sujatha

Unknown said...

Hi Suja,
Thanks for this excellent quick recipe. I made it yesay morning and we enjoyed it. I tried adding diced red pepper to your recipe. Loved it. Keep posting. I should thanks your sis for to telling me about your site.

Unknown said...

Hi Sujatha,
I should thank your sis for refering me to your blog. I tried Tomato uthappam yesterday morning for breakfast. It came out so nice and we liked it. I love your pictures(which motivates us to try the recipes). Thanks and Keep posting.

Sujatha said...

Thanks Poorani! Nice to see your comments, hope you are doing good!

gowri said...

Hi,

I stumbled upon your site and tried this toamto uthappam today.
attagasam!
Very easy and excellent taste.

Thank you

-Gowri