Thursday, April 24, 2008

Spicy Plantain Fry


Wow, I've been lazy last week.. Ofcourse I did cook, but mostly very simple. I've been coming home pretty tired with no mood for cooking. Since I had prepared the Idli batter last weekend, we had Idlis and dosas for a couple of days and we went out for another 2 days. There goes the week! I finally cooked something today but still far simpler from our regular sunday lunch. I quickly whipped some mashed spinach (Keerai masiyal) and a spicy plantain fry (Vazhakai Varuval). For a sunday lunch, it was quite comforting though not that elaborate. Now I'm recharged and all set for next week! Hopefully I will do a better job next week.

I have already mentioned about this recipe in my other post about Green Plantain Fry (Vazhakai Podimaas) . This is the spicy version of plantain fry that my mom makes. There is something warm and tasty about this recipe. Its exceptionally simple to prepare, but the flavors are full. There are some vegetable dishes that I want to make when I have a craving for something simple, but still savory. This is one of them. A creamy curd rice with plantain fry is a heavenly combination! To me, a simple lunch with my favorite item is the best way to relish.

Ingredients

  • Plantains - 2
  • Garlic - 2
  • Curry leaves - a few
  • Fennel seeds - 2 tsp
  • Chilli Powder - 1.5 tsp
  • Oil - 1 tbsp

Procedure

  • Peel off the skin from the plantains and cut them in round pieces.
  • Grind the fennel seeds and garlic to a paste .
  • Heat oil in a pan, add the curry leaves . Now add the plaintains and fry for a few mins.
  • Add the ground paste and mix well.
  • Add chilli powder, salt and some water. Mix and cover in low heat.
  • Cook until the water evaporates and the plantains are tender. Now increase the heat and fry the plaintains in medium heat until they are roasted well.

Serve hot with any rice dish.

No comments: