Monday, July 28, 2008

Cornflakes Kheer - Kids favorite

Whenever we're not having friends over the weekend, our weekends usually turn out to be lethargic.. rolling out from bed late, late breakfast or brunch, a few movies enjoyed with some mini treats etc. This weekend was once such kind - a calm and relaxed weekend. With nothing much to do, we were glued to our couches watching a few of our long pending movies, munching some snacks now and then, and stayed away from the kitchen for most of the part. Well, I did prepare a mini meal for my daughter for lunch, but nothing elaborate. In the evening we went out for dinner and did some shopping for our vacation that's coming up next week. It was indeed relaxing. Sometimes I do need this kind of time once in a while, just for me and my family. Sure it does feel good.

But don't know why, I often do get into a mood for making desserts during this kind of a weekend :) May be when we are idle, we are in a mood for munching more often and my dessert bells start to ring suddenly! I'm not a big snack lover, but I do love desserts and I can have them during any time of the day. For some odd reason, I consistently seem to have some space in my tummy reserved for dessert, even after feasting occassionally on a heavy dinner. I had made some baby corn pakoras for snack time today (will soon post the recipe), but I felt like having a dessert right after that and my taste-buds were all ready to taste something sweet! Obviously we were taking it easy this weekend, so didn't want to spend more time in the kitchen. Therefore I decided to make a quick and easy kheer and moreover I haven't made kheer in a looong time too. This is a kheer I learnt from a cookbook long back and it's my daughter's favorite.

This entry goes for Mythreyee's Cool Sweet Series.

Ingredients
  • Plain Cornflakes - 1 cup
  • Whole milk - 3 cups
  • Sugar - 1.5 cups (or your choice, depending on how sweet you need)
  • Cardamom pods - 3
  • Cashews - a hand full
  • Ghee - 2 tsps
Procedure
  • Roast the cornflakes in a tsp of ghee and set aside. Let it cool for sometime then grind it to a coarse powder (not too fine).
  • Heat milk and sugar in a pan and bring to boil. Add the cornflakes powder, crushed cardamoms and simmer for 15 mins. Adjust sugar to your taste. You can also add a pinch of salt to enhance the sweet flavor.
  • Heat 1 tsp ghee in a separate pan, roast the cashews and add it to the kheer. Mix and remove from heat after 2 mins.
Serve chilled.

18 comments:

VANI said...

Very innovative... good one :)

Indian Khana said...

Nice recipe..looks so gud

Cham said...

Fantastic recipe Suja :)

Madhavi said...

Great recipe, look really yummmm!!!

Laavanya said...

A kheer with cornflakes is new to me... looks delicious and must've been great with the corn pakodas - sounds like a great weekend.

Sum Raj said...

woo its a unique drink....fantastic...

Ramya Bala said...

Truly Innovative Sujatha...n u have a lot of recipe for me read n try...Pixs are wonderfully captured...N Yes enjoyed the vacation a lot n busy wid some other stuff...

ST said...

Unique recipe looks yummy....Will try soon.....

Purva Desai said...

Cornflakes Kheer looks simple and drooling dish :)
Thanks for sharing

Srivalli said...

Sujatha, you have a lovely blog here...and a kheer with cornflakes is new and excellent idea!!

Sia said...

kheer with cornflakes? now that is one innovative dish. i loved ur chilli panner dish and bookmarked to try it soon :) thanks suja:)

Sujatha said...

Thanks to everyone!

Valli - Welcome to my blog and thanks for your comments :)

Archana Doshi said...

hey very different and innovative, my kids are not too fond of cereal or sweets, could try this one though.

Unknown said...

I tried this yest, but I made it lil thick as I wanted it that way. It looked like pudding,tasted heavenly!

Vino said...

Hi Sujatha,

just tried out this kheer and it is so yum i decided to let you know right away... :) :)
Thank you for a wonderful recipe!!!

Sujatha said...

Glad it came out well, Vino :)Thanks for letting me know!

Nargis Aara said...

This kind of recipe is only in my imagination!! never tot it really existed :)

jyoti@Cornlover said...

looks yummy....I Will try soon and nice blogger..... !!! :)