Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Spicy Egg Masala


I'm going off the grid! Next week, around this time I will be flying to India! My long planned trip is finally around the corner. After booking my tickets what seems like a lifetime ago (actually in June), its now only a week more! I am excited. No matter howmuch ever we blend with the country and life-style here, going to India is always exciting! After all thats where I grew up! I love it when people around me speak the same language I do. That brings a sense of comfort to me. After a long time we all sisters are meeting together and have several things planned during our stay there. Hoping to have some great family time, do lots of shopping, enjoy home-made meals as well as my favorite Street foods!

I've been on my toes this week (shopping and packing) and still have a lot to do before I'm ready to leave. Hence didn't have time to cook anything elaborate in the kitchen and have been managing with some quick meals for dinner this week. Slowly have started emptying the refregirator too. During times like these, eggs are really handy to make a quick meal. A few days before, my sister was asking me for some new spicy egg recipes for a change as she was done trying all the egg recipes from my blog. To be honest, I ran out of egg recipes and I myself have been on the lookout for new recipes already. After my sister's demand, I scoured the internet for recipes, glimpsed through a couple of cookbooks and finally narrowed down a few egg recipes that looked and sounded interesting to me. I have quite a few bookmarked too but finally settled down to make this spicy egg masala that I got from Aayi's recipes, that looked scrumptious and super delicious in the picture. And ofcourse simple too! What I like about this recipe is, the eggs don't require lot of stir-fry because the spice mixture is cooked separately and ground into a paste before it gets stuffed into the eggs. So a quick seasoning and a stir-fry of the stuffed eggs makes it very easy. You can find the original recipe here too.


Ingredients:
  • Eggs - 4
  • Onions - 1 medium
  • Ginger-Garlic Paste - 2 tsp
  • Curry leaves - 5
  • Chilli powder - 1 tsp
  • Corriander seeds - 2 tsp
  • Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
  • Cinnamon - 1/2 inch
  • Cloves - 2
  • Corriander leaves - hand full.
Procedure:
  • Boil the eggs, remove the shell and set aside.
  • Heat 2 tsp oil in a pan, season with Cumin, cinnamon, cloves. Once they pop, add corriander seeds. Saute for a few seconds.
  • Now add, onions, ginger/garlic paste and fry for a couple of mins. Add chilli powder, salt and fry for a min. Cool and grind the above mixture to a smooth paste.
  • Slit the eggs vertically half-way ( don't cut them fully) and stuff the spice paste in each of the eggs.
  • In the same pan, heat more oil and season with curry leaves and corriander leaves.
  • Now add the eggs and the remaining paste, if any, and saute gently until the eggs are coated with the oil properly.
  • Cover for a few mins in medium to low heat. Then increase heat and stir-fry for a min. Remove from heat.
Serve hot with rice or rotis.

16 comments:

Shama Nagarajan said...

hai..have a comfortable and safe trip........chennai? ur curry looks so spicy........love this

Unknown said...

wow looks so so mouth watering great pic.

Finla said...

Delicious looks egg fry.
ENjoy this trip to Idnia and i am jealous that you are going and i am not :-)

Laavanya said...

Enjoy your trip home.. if you'll visit Madurai say hi from me to Lordess Meenakshi :)

I tried the exact same recipe for Shilpa's blog and posted it too - was really good right?

Premyscakes said...

It looks spicy and mouth watering.

CurryLeaf said...

WISHING YOU & FAMILY A SAFE JOURNEY & HAPPY VACTION.Come back with loads of new recipes and share with us.

Cham said...

Have a safe trip and enjoy it :) I will be on vacation too for one week but in US only.
Egg curry looks tasty and spicy!

Dori said...

Those are some tasty looking eggs!

lubnakarim06 said...

Spicy and yummy egg recipe. Happy Journey and enjoy your stay.

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

hmmmm looks very tempting even for a person who doesn't eat eggs :-) awesome pic.. needless to say.

Srikitchen said...

wow! looks superb!

Sujatha said...

Thanks Shama & Rekha :)

HC-Thanks,don't worry you will soon get your turn to go to India..:)

Laavanya-Sure, I will convey your hi:)And if she has any message for you, I will convey that as well :-)
Nice to know you tried this recipe too..:) We just loved it, delicious..

Thanks Prema & Curryleaf.

Thanks Cham. And you too have a great vacation :)

Thanks Meeso, Mahimaa, Kitchen flavours and Srilekha :)

Unknown said...

wow that looks awesome!! what a wonderful phot!!

Uj said...

Wow going to India... :( Lucky you.. Have a safe trip dear.. BTW eggs look yummy.. though I dont eat will make this for my hubby :)

Chef Jeena said...

Fantastic picture of the eggs it looks VERY tempting!

Mangala Bhat said...

hey thanks for comment@ my blog ..
it looks sooo yummy ...nice mouthwatering pic as well ..Thanks for the recipe