Sunday, July 22, 2012

Cabbage and Egg Stir-fry - A Simple Combo


Cabbage used to be one of my least favorite vegetables in my childhood. To me it was a stinky vegetable with no taste. As I grew, my taste buds changed and I started loving cabbage - even a plain steamed cabbage with salt is sufficient for me to enjoy this vegetable nowadays. As I started trying new dishes, I learned quite a few interesting variations with cabbage.

Here is a yummy variation - Cabbage stir fried with eggs.  Mom makes this often and it tastes yummy when she makes it as usual. This is the only recipe with cabbage my daughter loves too. Otherwise, she wrinkles
 her nose at the mere mention if this vegetable and she comes up with a myriad of excuses to not eat it. When combined with egg, it gives a different flavor and makes it quite different.
 
Ingredients
  • Cabbage - Chopped finely (3 cups packed)
  • Pearl Onions - 4 nos medium sized (or about 2 tbsp chopped red onions)
  • G.Chillies - 2 (small)
  • Cumin seeds - 1.5 tsp
  • Shredded coconut - 2 tbsp
  • Ginger - 1/2 inch piece
  • Eggs - 2
  • Black pepper powder - 1 tsp
  • Curry leaves - a few
Procedure
  • Grind the onions, g.chillies, cumin seeds, coconut and ginger to a fine paste with very little water. Set aside.
  • In a wide pan, add cabbage, salt and very little water. Mix, cover and cook the cabbage until it is half cooked.
  • Add the ground mixture, curry leaves, mix and cover for a few more mins.
  • Beat the eggs in a bowl and add it to the cababage mixture and stir-fry continuously. Keep stirring until the egg is fully cooked with the cabbage.
  • Finally add black pepper powder and mix well. Remove from heat.
 Enjoy as a side dish for any rice item.

No comments: