Sunday, March 23, 2008

Pepper Chicken

This is a fabulous chicken dish that my friend's husband makes and I cannot duplicate it no matter what. My friend herself also makes a similar version, but somehow her husband's recipe is a big hit in our friends' circle. I am sure both of them have a secret ingredient in their recipe that they are not willing to share :-) I am a big fan of traditional south indian non-veg items and cannot resist myself from overeating this chicken dish whenever they make it for a party.

My husband is a vegetarian and I very rarely make non-veg dishes at home.. Not that my husband is against cooking meat, but its just too boring for me to cook and eat for myself. My daughter is also going her dad's way and is not a meat lover. Yet, this is one of those chicken dishes that I would love to make at home - all for myself and enjoy thoroughly! This is hot and flavorful and again very traditional.

Ingredients:
  • Skinless Chicken thighs - 2 lbs
  • Onions - 2 medium (sliced)
  • Ginger/garlic paste - 1 tbsp
  • Black Pepper powder - 4 tbsp
  • Chilli powder - 1 tsp
  • Corriander powder - 2 tsp
  • Cumin powder - 1 tsp
  • Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
  • Tomatoes -2 medium
  • Cinnamon - 1 inch
  • Cloves - 2
  • Cardamom - 2
  • Coconut paste - 3 tbsp
Procedure:
  • Heat oil in a large wide pan. Fry Chicken with 2 tbsp of pepper powder & salt for a few mins and set aside.
  • Add little more oil to the same pan and season with cinnamon, cloves and cardamom.
  • Fry onions until golden brown, then add ginger/garlic paste.
  • Add turmeric, chilli powder, corriander powder and cumin powder and fry for a few mins.
  • Add tomatoes, coconut paste and chicken pieces and mix well.
  • Add 1 cup of water, cover and cook until the chicken is fully cooked.
  • Finally add the remaining pepper powder, increase the heat and keep frying until most of the water evaporates or until chicken reaches your choice of consistency. (I prefer it to be little dry & roasted, but it tastes great even if its in a semi-gravy consistency).
Awesome pepper chicken is ready!

2 comments:

vasudev said...

GREAT PHOTO AND RECIPE.
ENTICING !

GOOD WORK SUJA
KEEP IT UP!

Sujatha said...

Thanks Balaji!