Sunday, May 18, 2008

13 bean soup with greens


I am always fascinated with the recipes that are healthy and simple to make. Some things are better to be simple. I always try to keep it simple, but many times have ended up making it complicated. And, its quite a challenge to keep things simple, especially with recipes. I start with one simple dish in the kitchen, but then during the process of cooking, I change my mind to add more items to the menu. May be perhaps I get indulged in the process or sometimes an item in my fridge or pantry may draw my attention and whips me up, and I end up cooking additional items. But fortunately the end results have been good so far and it always looks good to have a variety on the table!

Here is my entry for Raaga who is hosting Monthly Blog Patrol this month with a theme of "Salads and Soups". This is my adaptation of a soup dish from Jai & Bee's Jugalbandi site. They post a lot of healthy recipes and this recipe is a perfect one-pot meal. Nothing can be so healthier than this. Its a combination of a variety of lentils, beans, veggies and spinach. You can find the Original Recipe at their site. But I have substituted and omitted a couple of them according to my taste and to what was in my pantry and refregirator. It came out delicious and we enjoyed it thoroughly. A bowl of this soup with some delicious bread rolls for the side makes up a filly dinner. If you love soups, this is a wonderful excuse for indulging into that passion.

Ingredients:

  • 13-bean soup mix - 1/2 cup
  • Mixed vegetables - 1/2 cup
  • Potato - 1 medium
  • Chopped Spinach - 1/2 cup
  • Tomato - 1 medium
  • Onion - 1 medium
  • Ginger/Garlic Paste - 1 tsp
  • G.Chillies - 2
  • Black Pepper-corns - 1/2 tsp
  • Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
  • Lemon juice - 2 tsps
  • Corriander leaves - a handful (chopped)
Procedure:

  • Soak the 13-bean soup mix for a few hours and pressure cook them along with chopped tomatoes, water, salt and diced potatoes.
  • Dry roast the pepper corns and cumin seeds and make them to a powder using blender.
  • When the beans are cooked, mash a portion of it and mix together well with the remaining beans.
  • Cook the mixed vegetables in microwave with a pinch of salt and set aside.
  • Heat a tsp oil in a pan, fry the sliced onions along with ginger and garlic paste until brown. Also add the fresh corriander leaves and fry for a few seconds.
  • Add this to the bean mixture along with the cooked mixed vegetables, chopped spinach and minced g.chillies. Cover and cook for 5 mins.
  • Add the pepper/cumin powder and boil for 2 more mins.
  • Finally add lemon juice and remove from heat.
Serve with toasted Bread rolls or bread slices.

14 comments:

bee said...

glad you liked it, sujatha. you have a nice site here. you could add it to taste of india. it's an RSS aggregator for indian food blogs.

http://connect.sailusfood.com/

Sujatha said...

Hi Bee..
Thanks for pointing me to a fabulous site. I just added my site there.

I've been a silent and frequent visitor to your great blog and its nice to get in touch with you!

Cheers!
Sujatha.

Madhavi said...

Hi, You have very nice blog. Soup looks awesome, nice recipe!!!thanxxx for sharing...

http://vegetarianmedley.blogspot.com/

Arundathi said...

Lovely looking soup. Are you also Gromit who has been posting on Taste of India for a couple of weeks?

Sagari said...

beautifulll soup sujathaa

Sujatha said...

Madhavi - Thank you so much for your comments. You have a lovely blog and very interesting recipes..

Arundathi - No, I am not Gromit :) I am very much a newbie in this blogging world, compared to you all veterans! You all have a lovely blog and post fabulous recipes. Thank you so much for your comments.

Sagari - Thanks for your comments, and nice to know that you are from Chicago too :)

ranji said...

this looks delcious sujatha!!love soups any time..

notyet100 said...

nice,tasty,healthy and yummy...

Cham said...

Lovely and healthy soup!

Uma said...

First time here! you have a lovely blog with many yummy recipes. 13 bean soup looks so refreshing and yummy! Thanks for sharing.

Sujatha said...

Thank you all for visiting my blog and for your sweet comments.

Ranji - Your blueberry muffins look gorgeous! Its my daughter's favorite, I will try it soon.

notyet100 - Your son is adorable. Yes, I agree with Sandeepa. "Magic eraser" may do the magic!

cham - Carrot & Orange soup sounds interesting! Will try that soon.

Uma - I visited your blog for the first time, You have a great blog too with many super recipes.

Anonymous said...

Wow...the soup looks so yummy and the pic is simply superb!

Anitha said...

Nice mouth-watering soup recipe. Looks yummy.

Sujatha, you have been tagged my me :-). Please check my blog http://www.cakesbyanitha.blogspot.com

Hope you will enjoy!!
Anitha

Sujatha said...

Thanks Homecooked and Anitha for you sweet comments, and Thanks Anitha for tagging me :)