Monday, May 5, 2008

Kari Dosai (Mutton Kheema Dosa)


Weekend breakfasts are becoming so hard to pick nowadays.. Every weekend I become apprehensive in deciding what to cook for breakfast.. Since the weekday mornings are spent on cereals and bread, my daughter demands a better breakfast in the weekend and so does my husband. I now realize how much dependent we were on Idlis and Dosas back in India. Once the batter is ready, its very easy and simple. We eat that everyday but never get tired of it.

I do love dosas, but I don't need that everyday. On the other hand, my husband is a dosa fanatic. He can live on dosas 3 times a day, 7 days a week.. I know he is going to be happy even if I prepare just plain dosas on weekends. However just to make my cooking more interesting, I keep trying varieties of dosas. Based on my experience, anything and everything on dosa will come out great! Vegetables, eggs, cheese, chicken, mutton - all these are good toppings for dosas. I remember the dosa melas that used to happen in restaurants back in India every year with hundreds of dosa varieties on the menu, some of them I've never even heard of.. like pavakkai dosai, curd dosai (?) etc.. Just out of curiosity, we would go and try a couple of new varieties every year.

Kheema dosa is a popular dosa thats served in all non-veg restaurants in Tamilnadu. I love to eat this dosa in a home-style restaurant pretty close to our house in India. Just the thought of that dosa is mouth watering! Awesome taste and so flavorful! Everytime I visit India, I make sure to have a blast at that restaurant with my sisters and parents. Everyone in our family loves the dishes there and we all have a good time when we go in groups.

Ingredients:
  • Dosa batter (3 cups of idli rice & 1 cup of Urad dal soaked, ground and fermented overnight)
  • Mutton Kheema (minced) - 1 cup
  • Grean peas - 1/2 cup
  • G.chillies - 1 sliced
  • Turmeric powder - 3/4 tsp
  • Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
  • Pepper powder - 1 tsp
  • Curry leaves - a few
  • Cinnamon - 1 inch
  • Cloves - 2
Procedure:
  • Heat oil in a pan. Add the cinnamon and cloves. Once they pop-up add sliced g.chillies and curry leaves and saute for few mins.
  • Add the minced mutton, all other spice powders and salt and fry until they are well mixed..
  • Cover in lowheat until the mutton gets cooked well.
  • Increase the heat, add 2 tsp of oil and roast the mutton until it turns into brown color.
  • Add steamed green peas at the end and fry for a few more mins.
  • Heat the dosa pan and start making dosas.. Spread the kheema mixture on the dosa while the batter is still wet.
  • Turn it over and cook the kheema mixture well. Remove to a plate.
Chicken or Mutton Chalna is a great side dish for this dosa.

2 comments:

Dori said...

Looks so good, I never ate a dosa with meat... I gotta try that!

Unknown said...

Hi sujatha..Am happy that I discovered ur blog..U have great tamil recipes..I remember having this dosa in Tirunelveli, Aaryaas restaurant..I will try this soon..Thanks for sharing