Monday, August 4, 2008

Thai Basil Curry with Tofu... and a short break


Wow, I can't believe its August already! Just a few more summer weeks left! Ever had that experience of waiting and waiting for the July 4th weekend, and after that everything just works so fast and time just flies by?! It happens to me every year. To me, summer starts only from July 4th holiday weekend. Until then, the weather is so unpredictable in my region that we can't have any major plans outdoors. Then, after the July holiday weekend, everything just clicks together and time flies off! And here we are in August already.

Well, one good thing thats coming up in August is my long waited vacation! This will be my last post before my 2 week vacation starting tomorrow. We will be sailing on a cruise ship for the next two weeks to Carribean islands. Before I go on vacation, I wanted to post a recipe from many of my blogging friends' favorite cuisine - Thai! I thank you all so much who took time to participate in my poll that was going on for a couple of months in my blog. The poll was to figure out your favorite cuisine other than Indian. Once again, fabulous response from you all and I was overwhelmed to see more than 75 votes recorded in just a few weeks! Its exhilarating to see the interest and enthusiasm expressed in many such ways by you all. Thanks again!

Here are the results from the poll, starting from top to bottom - Thai, Chinese, Italian, Mediterranean, Mexican. I was extra thrilled to watch my favorite cuisine continuously stay on top for all 8 weeks :) Yes, Thai is my favorite food next to Indian and I am so glad to know its a favorite to many of you as well. There's such an exuberance in Thai food that offers those unique vibrant flavors. I love the special aroma from those basil leaves and peanut sauce! Yummmm.. Being a south Indian, I do have a special liking for coconuts and no wonder the zest of coconut milk in Thai food brings that dribble in me :)

I made this Thai Red curry with Tofu and basil leaves today. It came out scrumptious and we enjoyed with fried rice as well as plain rice. The best part is, its startlingly simple to make! Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:

  • Yellow Pepper - 1 (small sized)
  • Red Pepper - 1 (small sized)
  • Tofu - 12 - 15 cubes (your choice)
  • Thai Red curry paste - 2 tbsp (You will find it in all grocery stores)
  • Basil leaves - 10 - 12
  • Olive oil - 1 tbsp
  • Coconut milk - 1 can ( or 2 cups)
Procedure:

  • Chop the peppers in 2 inch long stripes and set aside.
  • Chop the basil leaves and set aside.
  • Heat olive oil in a pan, and add the peppers. Stir fry for 3 - 5 mins.
  • Add the curry paste and fry on medium heat for 5 - 8 mins so that the peppers are almost cooked.
  • Add chopped basil leaves and fry for a min.
  • Add salt, coconut milk and 1 cup of water and bring it to boil (you can adjust water according to your required consistency).
  • When it begins to boil, add tofu cubes and let it boil for 3 - 5 mins.
Yummy Thai red curry is ready! Serve hot with Fried rice or Plain rice.

I am sending this recipe for:

Sunshinemom's "Food in color" which is RED this month and
EC's "WYF - Color in Food" which is also RED this month.

I also want to write a few lines about my awards that are long waiting to be posted and shared. I thank my good new friend Rashmi for passing me the "Blogging Friends Forever" award. Thanks so much for remembering me, Rashmi!

The following rules apply to this award:
1. Only 5 people are allowed to receive this award
2. 4 of them followers of your blog.
3. One has to be new to your blog and live in another part of the world.
4. You must link back to who ever gave you the award.

I would like to pass this on to my dear friends:




I also want to thank Sukanya for passing me the rocking gal award! Thank you so much Sukanya! Its very exciting to recieve this :) Sorry but I am so late in posting this award.. I'll soon pass this award.


Next I want to thank my sweet friend JZ for passing me little luck through the Magic lamp! Thanks JZ ! I would like to pass the luck to Laavanya, Ramya, Cham and Suma.

Enjoy the awards friends!

40 comments:

Sum Raj said...

hey sujatha..i luv thai food and search for curry paste when i go to grocecry next time...thanks for passing me the award..happy to rec from u.. :)

notyet100 said...

hppy holidays,,,relax nd come back..:-)yummy thai curry..

Laavanya said...

That is so true.. Thai curries come very close to our Indian hearts. Your curry looks so delicious and creamy.
Caribbean cruise sounds fabulous - enjoy yourself and let us know how you liked it.
Congratulations on your 2 well-deserved awards and thank you for giving me the rocking girl award :)

Unknown said...

yummy just superb curry looks very mouth watering and pic is so good enjoy your vecation happy holidays

SMN said...

Hey Sujatha nice thai curry and i liked the way u entered one dish for so many events

Pallavi said...

Thai is my favorite cuisine next to Indian too :) I am going to try this one. Looks yummy.. ! Thanks for the award Sujatha and including me in your "blogging friends forever" list :)

Ramya Bala said...

Oh dear Red curry n green curry are my favs...Tempting and thank u so much for passing on the awards...
ola lala olae o ( Guess the song goes dis way)...Enjoy the most dear...You even need some rest from work n blogging...Happy Vacation..See u soon with vacation pics :)

Anonymous said...

When your page opened and I saw curry picture I was like wohooo what is that ? . Loveeeeee the picture looks very tempting. And another treat you are goin to carribean cruise thats sooo lovely its one of my dream. As everybody said have a blast trip. Have fun.

ST said...

Yummy and delicious thai curry.....Enjoy Holidays:))

Thanks for thinking of me and passing the award to me dear:))

A_and_N said...

The curry looks mouthwatering Sujatha! And have a nice, relaxing break :)

TBC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TBC said...

Love the look of this one. I'll have to try it out.

Enjoy your break!:)

Suganya said...

2 weeks in Carribean islands... ENJOY!...

Thai curry look so good. So mouth watering. Nice picture...

Congrats on ur award.....

@the_whisk_affair said...

i too love thai food, but it wouldnt be my second pick! ;-) the thai basil curry looks awesome, but being a tofu hater, cant comment on the flavor! ;-)

thanks a lot for passing me the Blogging friends forever award!! appreciate it! :-)

have a blast on ur vacation!! enjoy and come back with tidbits to share!

Unknown said...

Congrats on your award.... The thai curry looks so delicious!!! And have a happy vacation!

Bhawana said...

A surprise for you in my blog :). Check it.

kamala said...

The curry looks out of the world sujatha..Congrats on ur award!!! Hve a great vacation!!!

Cham said...

Caribbean cruise sounds exciting Suja! Have a fun Dear :) Thai curry never did at home, sure i will try it! Wish u a Happy Cruise!
Congrats and thanks once again to consider as a friend Dear Suja :)

Illatharasi said...

Tempting curry... looks perfect!!!

Happy vacation... have a blast!!!

Madhavi said...

OMG awesome curry, delicious entry!!!! Enjoy ur break !!!

delhibelle said...

the curry looks awesome..you have tempted me into making some red curry soooon.
Have a fun break!

Srikitchen said...

wow! mouth drooling recipe!

Sunshinemom said...

Great picture, Suja! I have never tried thai curry at home, and this one is tempting me to shed the fear!! Thank you for the scrumptious entry!! Enjoy the cruise:)

EC said...

Congrats on the awards...nice dish, thanks for participating and have a nice vacation

Usha said...

Your thai dish looks very delicious,congrats on your awards and hope you enjoy your break :)

Purva Desai said...

Thai curry looks really yumm...
njoy ur cruise and congrats for your award....
check out for fun filled festive food event

http://purvasdaawat.blogspot.com/2008/08/announcing-festive-food-event.html

Srikitchen said...

event going in my blog too! do participate in it!

lubnakarim06 said...

Looks yummy dear. Mouth watering.

lubnakarim06 said...

Congratulations on the awards. Nice thai curry.

There is a suprise for u in my blog check out.

Srikitchen said...

a treat for u in my blog!

Indranee Batabyal said...

Nice curry Sujatha and very good color!Hope u r enjoying your holiday:)

Indranee Batabyal said...

Nice curry Sujatha and very good color!Hope u r enjoying your holidays:)

Illatharasi said...

Once you are back, pick up yoour awards here ;)

http://illatharasi.blogspot.com/2008/08/pongal-and-brinjal-gojju-awards.html

Paru ... said...

Sujatha,

I love Thai food.. Your Thai curry looks Yumm..

Paru
www.brindavrecipes.blogspot.com

@the_whisk_affair said...

theres something for u on my blog!!

Srikitchen said...

hi
subscribe in as a reader of sangeeth's Letusallcook (http://letusallcook.blogspot.com/) blog
and send her a mail to her id letusallcook@gmail.com that u have subscribed as a reader to her blog
and do not forget to mention my name (srilekha of http://srishkitchen.blogspot.com) as a referral person
and plz inform me the same
bye!

Sujatha said...

Thanks to each one of you for such great comments. I did have a fabulous vacation, friends and I am glad to be back :)

Srivalli said...

thats one awesome curry!..thanks for the entry!

Recipeswap said...

Beautiful curry and picture.I can imagine how good it must have tasted.

Sujatha said...

n3mma - Welcome to my blog! I am very curious to know what your name means :)

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving your nice comments.. :)