Sunday, August 24, 2008

Pista Kulfi


We were at home this past weekend catching up with our friends over phone and emails after our vacation. Also finished my groceries and loaded up my fridge for the upcoming week and actually I had some time to cook a traditional lunch after a few weeks! Surprisingly, I also got into this mood of planning the dinner menu for all five working days next week. I normally won't do it, and even if I do, I don't end up maintaining it :) But perhaps, may be my 2 week break is giving me all this enthusiasm! Don't know how long my enthu will last.. But, so far so good! I've been going as per plan for the past 2 days and it helps indeed. Atleast, it lets me drive back home peacefully listening to my favorite music, instead of debating myself about the dinner menu.

This year, for some reason August is cooler than it should be. Don't know why. I know that theoritically there are a few more summer weeks left before all my short sleeve blouses and skirts get replaced with my sweaters and pants in my closet. But oddly I had to sleep with my big blanket last night. I liked it, but mentally not fully ready for fall and winter yet. So still maintaining to cook some thing summery in my kitchen often, just to maintain my summer gusto. Coincidentally, Srilekha's Ice-Creams and Milkshakes event came up at the right time giving me another opportunity to make a summer favorite!

Pista Kulfi has been my family favorite for a long time. Back in my childhood, I remember enjoying kulfi only in "Aavin", a popular dairy store in my place. But about a few years ago I learnt this awesome recipe from one of my friends - actually this recipe is a combination from my sister and my friend. Both had slightly different versions and I combined them to make it my own way. Its been coming out delicious every time and we all thoroughly enjoy it. If you have the right ingredients, its super easy! If you do have those freezer pops, you can make it with ice-cream sticks.. but we just enjoy it in a bowl as well..

Ingredients

  • Evaporated Milk - 1 cup
  • Sweetened Condensed mik - 1 cup
  • Half and Half - 1/2 cup
  • Cool whip - 1/2 cup (you will find this in the freezer section)
  • Green food color - 2 drops (optional)
  • Crushed Cardamom pods - 5
  • Pista, Walnuts - 1/4 cup
Procedure
  • Combine and whip all of the above ingredients except nuts in a big bowl for a few mins. Bring the cool whip to room temperature before mixing.
  • Freeze it for an hour. Remove and now garnish with the nuts. Freeze again overnight.
  • Leave it outside for 5 mins before serving.

35 comments:

delhibelle said...

mmmm..the kulfi looks really rich and scrumptious

Nidhi said...

Kulfi looks very good. Seems easy to mke as well. Will try this one out.

Cham said...

The color is very attractive & easy too :) Love pistachio icecream- good one Suja!

ST said...

I am drooling Now....Pista kulfi looks awesome and yumm yumm.Love the colour.....

Pallavi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pallavi said...

Lovely picture Sujatha. This is one of my favorites and the easiest dessert I prefer to make whenever there are more than 50 people to eat. :)

Laavanya said...

I make a mango icecream similarly - so tasty and easy! Yours looks absolutely yummy with crunchy pistas on top.
I plan on the dinner menu the week ahead too (as much as possible) - I posted mine on my blog 'Menu Ideas' in case you want to take a look :)
One does feel refreshed / energized after a vacation - good for you.

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious. Seems like it is quite easy to put together.

ST said...

There is small treat for u at my blog:))

Bhawana said...

oh GOD this is sooooooooooo attracitve. maja a gaya

Dori said...

Pistachio is one of my favorite flavors for something sweet, so this sounds so yummy :)

Srikitchen said...

color is looking so cool! will try out soon!

Indian Khana said...

Pista Kulfi ....umm..looks so yummy...great entry

Ramya Bala said...

Wow,super ma...I omit half and half in my kulfi..But after seeing urs,just thinking that it could make the kulfi much more creamier right?Will try next time

Unknown said...

yummmmm.... it looks so creamy, rich and delicious!!!! Lovely!!

Vidhya said...

Yummy yummy Kulfi. Pista is my hubby's favorite flavour. Thanks for the visit buddy. Have added u in my blogroll

Paru ... said...

Sujatha

Kulfi looks so delicious..Love it..
Thanks for visiting my blog today..

Uma said...

kulfi looks so cool Sujatha! delicious.

anudivya said...

Interesting! without a ice cream maker huh? I never knew how to do that. By the way, your pictures look so inviting, big, bright and beautiful. Cool job!

Sum Raj said...

colour is too gud and inviting sujatha...thats very perfect dessert....drooling over here..

Lakshmi said...

yummo! Kulfi's...can I have that cup please.......

Pete said...

Mmmm, sweet and nice!

Sujatha said...

Laavanya, I did check your menu ideas.. You are a great planner definitely.. Menu selection is something that I always want to run away from.. Sometimes unable to decide, I even ask my 6year old daughter on some suggestions :) Good job, dear!

Sujatha said...

Hi Ramya, yes half-and-half gives a creamy texture and rich taste.. do try and let me know :)

Vidhya - Welcome to my blog and thanks for adding me to your blogroll.. :)

Deepthi Shankar said...

wow .. that looks suberp ...

ST said...

There is a small treat for u at my blog:))

Sum Raj said...

i have tagged u dear...check my blog..

A_and_N said...

Fantastic Kulfis! I am going to buy ice cream molds JUST for this :)

Solai Chidambaram said...

wow,Pista kulfi looks lovely and mouth watering sujatha.I love this.Wonderful colour

Sujatha said...

Thanks Sireesha and Suma for tagging me.. :) Will do it soon...

Uj said...

Wow.. Kulfi looks yummy

Pravs said...

didn't know kulfi was easy to make! looks great.

gtyuk said...

i love pistaches and the kulfi looks perfect!

Divya said...

Just wanted to know....after leaving it overnight, do we still keep it in the freezer even if we want to eat it after 2 days. Or shd we keep it in the regular fridge after the overnight freezing.

Sujatha said...

Hi Divya,

Yes, It should be in the freezer always. I was trying to say that this dish requires overnight freezing. Leave it in the freezer until 5 mins before you serve. And return it back to the freezer if there are any leftovers.

Good luck!