Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Eggplant cashew masala



This is an excellent dish with eggplants. I was too tired of my regular eggplant curry because thats the only dish I knew with eggplants. I was so ready to try something new with eggplants and there it was! I got this from a tv show and it sounded very interesting.. I tried it the next day and I just loved it! Shallow-frying the eggplants in the beginning gives a whole new flavour to the item. Hope you all enjoy it!

Ingredients:

Japanese Eggplant - 2 medium
Onion - 1 medium
Ginger/Garlic paste - 1 tbsp
Tomato - 1 large
Cashew paste - 2 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Chilli Powder, Corriander Powder - 1 tsp each
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Olive Oil - 1/4 cup
Corriander leaves - a handful

Procedure:

1. Chop the eggplant 2 inch pieces lengthwise.
2. Heat the olive oil in pan and shallow fry the eggplants well, until they are fully cooked. You will see the skins shrunken and the eggplants become brown. Transfer to a plate.
3. Add1 tsp oil in the same pan, season with cumin seeds.
4. Then add onions, ginger garlic paste and fry for two mins.
5. Add all the powders and fry in low heat for 2 mins.
6. Now add the eggplants, salt and tomatoes and mix well.
7. Add 1 cup water, cashew paste and boil for a few mins until your desired consistency.
8. Garnish with Corriander leaves.

Goes well with Rotis.

No comments: